Pamper your feet, indulge in a soothing foot massage, just sit back and relax while all this is going on. This is because your feet need it. They require it the most than any other body part. You know the amount of wear and tear these tender body parts go through every other day. If you are interested to know about some foot massage benefits you have to devote some time from your busy lives to mend and correct your rough and cracked feet by giving them some soothing foot massages?
- 1 Is a Foot Massage Comfort?
- 2 Foot Massages and Healing Injuries?
- 3 Types of Foot Massages
- 4 Foot Massage Benefits
- 4.1 Swedish Foot Massage Benefits
- 4.2 Deep Tissue Foot Massage Benefits
- 4.3 Hot Stone Foot Massage Benefits
- 4.4 Shiatsu Foot Massage Benefits
- 4.5 Aromatherapy Foot Massage Benefits
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Is a Foot Massage Comfort?
Foot massages are a practice of applying pressure on the sore and tired nature of your feet to relax and comfort them and give them a break from their hectic physical activities. The application of gentle pressure on the sore muscles can relieve all the pain and ease up all the tightened joints and muscles. There are different techniques of foot massages that provide comfort and relief in a different variety of ways and also have a few healing benefits.
Foot Massages and Healing Injuries?
An amazing massage can heal the different diseases and illnesses that the body is suffering from. Plantar Fasciitis is one of the most common foot conditions that can be easily cured by systematic and repeated soothing foot massages. Foot massages help in the proper circulation of blood throughout the body, which in turn results in the distribution of oxygen to every injured tissue and cell. The oxygen in the blood helps in the repair mechanism of these injured tissues. A great and relaxing foot massage for diabetic patients can prove to be quite healthy and make the swollen and slow muscles of the feet quite accessible to them. Hence, we can say that a foot massage indeed relaxes and soothes the feet and the entire human body along with portraying some healing capacity as well.
Types of Foot Massages
A few different massage techniques which will provide you with absolute comfort and healing are Swedish Massage therapy, Hot Stone Massage, Deep Tissue Massage, Thai Foot Massage, Sports Foot Massage, Acupressure foot massage, Trigger Point Therapy, or Shiatsu Foot Massage. These different types of foot massages trigger accurate massage points and sore muscles and provide instant relief from the extreme pain and stress which the feet undergo every day. The soothing and aromatic oils lighten up our stressed-out moods and help in lifting the spirits of ourselves and also the surrounding people. You will suddenly feel completely refreshed after a great massage therapy session.
Now let’s dig a little deeper into these amazing therapeutic massages and check out what kind of issues or what amount of stress can they solve or alleviate in our bodies. These soothing massage therapies are offered by professionals which have the potential to treat different types of illnesses and diseases. So, let’s just start listing them out, and describing each therapy.
Swedish Foot Massage
- A Swedish foot massage is a great technique that plays an efficient role in breaking down the stress levels. The idea of Swedish Massage is to apply pressure on those points of the feet which correlated to the multiple parts of the body.
- In this style, the skin on the feet is softened using long and slow strokes. The therapist applies pressure using the fingers, palms, and knuckles
- When the tightness in the muscles is loosened, the body reaches the state of utmost harmony
- This massage style is a way to soothe the muscles which is more preferred than the deep tissue massage
- A Swedish massage is good for clearing the lymphatic drainage system, the organ systems, moisturizing the skin and increasing the healing process.
Deep Tissue Foot Massage
- Our muscles are surrounded by deep tissues call fascia. When the body undergoes stress, these tissues are contracted which leads to the loss of flexibility in the body and the strains and pains are increased
- In a deep-tissue massage, the main intent is to expand these tissues to attain mobility and improve movement in the body.
- Generally, a deep-tissue massage is very close to Swedish massage style but the amount of pressure used in both these styles varies. A Swedish massage uses soft pressure whereas the deep-tissue massage uses immense pressure to reach the core tissues.
- To break down the tension in the muscles, the therapist uses deep strokes using the fingers and the knuckles which helps in releasing stress.
- This therapy is not recommended for those who have a sensitive skin.
Hot Stone Foot Massage
- Hot Stone massage therapy revitalizes the dry, damaged skin to hydrate and nourish it
- The stones utilized in this type of massage are made of basalt which are otherwise known as volcanic rocks. These rocks have the property to intake heat and retain it throughout the massage process
- The rocks are first heated between 130-145 degree Fahrenheit and then they are placed on the different body parts such as the spine, legs, shoulders, in between the toes, etc.
- Then they apply pressure to the core body parts using long strokes, circular motions, kneading, tapping, etc.
- In some cases, cooling therapy is also used after the hot stone therapy for providing a cooling effect to the feet
Shiatsu Foot Massage
- Shiatsu massage is the most widely practiced massage style in many parts of the world. This technique traces its origins to Japan. In 1970, this technique took a new shape called Shiatsu Massage
- Shiatsu is an extremely powerful technique in which the pressure is applied to the feet by using the generous movements of the hands.
- The idea of shiatsu massage is to apply pressure in certain parts of the feet which can release the toxins from the body through different channels.
- This therapy helps in elongating the muscular structure of the body which provides more mobility and keeps it flexible.
- The shiatsu massage therapy is also used in many foot massager machines for extreme relief
Aromatherapy Foot Massage
- Aromatherapy is mostly used as an additional service is many massage parlors after a vigorous body/foot massage
- This therapy involves the use of aromatic essential oils during a massage. As fragrant essential oils are considered to unclog the stress from the body and the mind, aromatherapy keeps both the mind/soul and body healthy.
- In this therapy, the client selects their favorite oil which can be lavender, lemon, carrot, rosehip, etc., which is then used throughout the entire session after being combined with a carrier oil.
- As essential cannot be used as a standalone because they have very powerful ingredients, they must be mixed with a carrier oil. These essential oils are extracted from the natural herbs which have healing and nourishing properties
- Aromatherapy can be mixed with other therapies such as the Swedish massage, deep-tissue massage, hot stone massage, etc.
These were some of the most-liked therapies that many people have fallen in love with. All the above therapies help the body deal with intense stress and also promote the release of healthy brain chemicals.
Foot Massage Benefits
Apart from just relaxing and soothing the mind and body, these massage techniques and therapies also have got a variety of different foot massage benefits which will altogether recuperate and rejuvenate your entire body and soul. Let’s take a look at some benefits of these techniques.
Swedish Foot Massage Benefits
This widely used massage technique undoubtedly has got the best foot massage health benefits apart from just providing relaxation and relief from the exterior body pain and tension. Some major foot massage benefits for a Swedish massage are:
You are bound to experience enormous pain in your feet every other day if you are suffering from Arthritis or Sciatica. A Swedish massage therapy is one of the most natural and effective ways of reducing this pain. It helps in the circulation of blood, which in turn releases muscle tension from the various sore and tired muscles of the body.
A Swedish massage relaxes and opens up the muscles of the body, adds lubrication in between the joints, and also decreases the swelling in the feet. All these factors combined result in increased elasticity of the body. It also increases stamina and re-energizes the entire body.
Boosts the Immune system
Swedish massage helps in promoting lower cortisol levels in the body which is very beneficial in maintaining a healthy immune system. Thus, you are less likely to get sick and can enjoy your life doing the things you like.
Deep Tissue Foot Massage Benefits
- This massage therapy helps in stiffening the muscles of the body and also treats muscle pain.
- It provides ultimate relaxation to the body and helps in relieving the internal tissues and organs of the body.
- One of the major foot massage benefits of this therapy in reducing the chronic lower back pain suffrage in the body.
- By stiffening the muscles of the feet, this therapy allows you to maintain healthier feet and also reduces the pain in the ankles and the heels. It also helps in making the ankles quite strong and flexible and also helps in avoiding unpleasant foot injuries.
- Deep tissue foot massage helps in alleviating the edema(swelling) in the feet and the ankles due to fluid retention. This condition is quite common during the pregnancy’s last trimester.
Hot Stone Foot Massage Benefits
Relieves Muscle Tension and Pain
Due to this massage therapy, the rate of blood circulation tremendously increases in the body, resulting in a decrease in muscle spasms. The heat helps in easing the muscle tension in the body. This technique also helps in increasing the flexibility and motion of the body. Cold massage therapy works well on any sort of inflammation on the feet and the other parts of the body.
Might Help in Relieving Symptoms of Autoimmune Diseases
Nothing has been concluded as the various research and studies are going on. Research is still going on, and there are still quite a few chances and a few hints that this hot stone foot massage therapy relieves some major symptoms of these autoimmune diseases.
For example, there was a case of testing a few patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. When these patients had undergone the massage therapy at least for a month, it was found that they experienced less pain, greater and firm grip strength, and an increased range of motion. And, all these changes were just reflected in a month!
Promotes Better Sleep
A minimum of 7-8 hours of sleep is a must for any individual each day for his body to function appropriately. However, due to hectic schedules and improper routines, we tend to lose our precious sleep time. But, this hot stone foot massage benefits us in relaxing and relieving the stress and tension from the muscles of the body. A proper 15-20 minutes massage before sleep helps the body to simply calm down and relax which improves the sleeping quality. Which is an obvious thing, isn’t it? I mean when you are stress-free and tense free you ultimately sleep well without having any bad nightmares.
Shiatsu Foot Massage Benefits
I feel this is one of the most beneficial massage techniques which improves your feet’s health as well as relaxes your muscles from the excess stress and strain prone on the body. The various health benefits of shiatsu foot massage are:
- It improves blood circulation and distribution of oxygen to the various body parts which help in the repair of the damaged tissues and cells.
- It helps in the reduction of anxiety and depression and also reduces headaches and migraines to a great extent.
- Promotes quick healing and recovery from various minor injuries and sprains in the feet.
- Reduces chronic lower back pains and also helps in getting rid of stiff neck and shoulders.
- One of the most important and major benefits of this massage is that it helps in building up stamina in the body and allows fast metabolism. In this sense, it promotes fast digestion and removal of wastes from the body and also helps in burning down excess fat.
- A great shiatsu foot massage benefits in dealing with insomnia. It reduces the effects of insomnia and also deals with certain respiratory problems and diseases like cough and cold.
- Shiatsu foot massage provides help in the treatment of various things such as Bowel movement, Menstrual cramps and problems, and Morning Sickness.
Aromatherapy Foot Massage Benefits
The essential oils used in this massage therapy help in keeping the mind refreshed and energize and revitalize the complete body. These oils soak deep within the layers of the skin, and help in moisturizing and relaxing the worn-out skin cells. Other essential benefits portrayed after this calming massage therapy are:
- Reducing stress and anxiety levels in the body.
- A spectacular decrease in muscle pain and tension.
- Increase in calmness and relaxation of the mind and the body.
- After a patient starts indulging in an aromatherapy foot massage, there is a significant decrease in depression levels.
- Provides pain relief in the various parts of the body in addition to reduce the effects of chronic pain caused due to different ailments that affect most people. Illnesses like Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, lower back pain, Peripheral Neuropathy, Premenstrual syndrome, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, and Rheumatoid arthritis.
- The essential oils have quite a few healing benefits which show an extremely positive response when massaged onto the different areas of the body.
So, these were a few common and popular foot massage benefits from the different techniques described in this article. Overall, the main thing is that foot massages make your life very comfortable and relaxing. In addition to this, they help in lightening up your mood and brightening up a boring day.
I hope you guys found these foot massage benefits useful. It is necessary to understand what is going to happen to your body if you want to undergo foot massage therapy that can provide a modicum of relief. Massages make you strong emotionally, mentally, as well as physically. You can experiment with different massage therapists and find out which professional is the most ideal for you. Talk to a doctor if you are suffering from any illnesses and if foot massage therapy is a good option in that condition. You need to be quite open about your conditions and the stress in the body so that the therapist will provide you with the most satisfying and healing technique.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Foot massage techniques help in clearing the lymphatic system. This in turn helps in keeping your tissues and muscles healthy. You should also know these foot massage techniques as they have a healing capacity and help in treating various chronic pains and some serious prevailing ailments.
Yes, various emotions like nervousness, stress, fear, anxiety, restlessness, boredom, joy, shyness, coyness, humility, and other similar emotions are stored in our feet.
Oiling and massaging your feet does have a fantastic positive effect on your entire body. The best-suited oil for a foot massage is Sesame Oil. It has a warming effect, which helps in reducing muscle stress and pain.